Articles Posted in Immigration Benefits

Obtaining a visa from a U.S. embassy or consulate can be a lengthy process due to several reasons:

1. High Demand: The United States is one of the most sought-after destinations for travel, work, study, and migration.  The high demand means a large number of applications, which can lead to backlogs.

2. Security Concerns: Post 9/11, the U.S. visa process has become more stringent to ensure national security.  Every visa application undergoes rigorous security checks to prevent potential threats from entering the country.

At, we often get inquiries from Canadian citizens wanting to know if they can get a visa that will allow them to live and work in the United States on a full-time basis. The answer to that question is “yes.”

The easiest way for Canadians to live and work in the United States is through the E-2 Treaty Investor visa.  The E-2 visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows an individual from a treaty country (a country with which the U.S. maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation) to be admitted to the U.S. when they are investing a substantial amount of capital in a U.S. business.

Here’s what it takes to qualify for an E-2 visa:

This is a question we are often asked at  That is, can a person can work in the United States after applying for asylum. The simple answer is, not immediately, but yes, an asylum seeker can work in the U.S., after meeting certain conditions set by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Asylum is a form of protection granted to individuals who have arrived in the United States (U.S.) and who credibly fear persecution in their home country based on race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group. Once an individual has applied for asylum, they must wait approximately 150-days after the USCIS receives their completed asylum application before they can apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), also known as a “work permit.”  If the asylum application remains pending after 180-days, counting from the 150-day mark, the applicant becomes eligible to receive a work permit while waiting for a decision on their asylum status.  However, it should be noted, these waiting periods only apply if the asylum application is not acted upon (i.e. decided) by the USCIS. If, on the other hand, the application is granted, the individual becomes an asylee and is immediately authorized to work.

Many clients often ask, why is there a 150-day waiting period in the first place? The reason is because the government doesn’t want people coming to the United States for economic reasons instead of those reasons (i.e. race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group) that would normally support asylum. In other words, the waiting period is a way of discouraging economic migration.  The processing time also allows USCIS sufficient time to properly investigate, assess and process asylum applications.

A “U” visa is a nonimmigrant visa available to victims of certain crimes (e.g. rape, assault, attempted murder, armed robbery, kidnapping, involuntary servitude, domestic violence, stalking) who have suffered substantial mental or physical abuse.  The crime (which must have occurred in the United States or in violation of U.S. laws) must be serious and generally violent in nature.  Further, to be eligible for a U visa, a victim of a crime must be willing to assist law enforcement and government officials in the investigation or prosecution of the criminal activity.  The U visa was created by the United States Congress as part of the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act (VTVPA) in 2000 to encourage victims to report crimes without fear of deportation and to strengthen the ability of law enforcement agencies to investigate and prosecute certain criminal cases.

To be eligible for a U visa, an individual must:

1. Be a victim of a qualifying criminal activity that occurred in the United States or in violation of U.S. laws.


This month the United States Department of Homeland Security announced that it has designated the nation of Ethiopia for Temporary Protected Status (“TPS”).  A country can be designated for TPS if the conditions in that country include armed conflict, environmental disaster or extraordinary conditions that otherwise make life dangerous in that country.  What this means in practical terms is that persons from Ethiopia currently residing in the United States as of October 20, 2022 can remain here for 18-months without fear of overstaying a visa or being deported.  That 18-month period can be extended if the TPS gets extended.  The rationale behind TPS is that persons from nations that have been designated for TPS status cannot return home without being placed in danger and therefore they must be allowed to remain in the United States for a temporary period of time for their protection.

Currently, Ethiopia’s Tigray region has witnessed an ongoing civil war since 2020 that has brought tremendous suffering and danger to the region.  In addition to this civil war, theshutterstock_2198353425-Converted-1-300x220 country is also experiencing food shortages, dangerous environmental conditions and other hardships that make life dangerous.  In recognition of this, the Secretary of DHS, Alejandro Mayorkas, recently commented that “Ethiopian nationals currently residing in the U.S. who cannot safely return will be able to remain and work in the United States until conditions in their home country improve.”  This news has been met with relief in the Ethiopian community and especially among those facing the prospect of overstaying a visa versus returning home to dangerous conditions.

Best Immigration Lawyer

Welcome Patrick Lindemann, Esq. to the Best Immigration Lawyer Team

There are very few lawyers in the United States with Patrick Lindemann’s unique experience and accomplishments that practice immigration law. If you’re facing immigration issues and you need the best, you’ll want Patrick in your corner. An exceptional lawyer with deep experience and knowledge in the field of immigration law, Patrick is the first choice for client’s facing serious immigration issues. Based upon his professional background and work history, he has the respect of judges and government officials that deal with immigration matters.

Prior to joining, Patrick spent over a decade with the United States Department of Homeland Security as a Trial Attorney handling nearly every type of immigration case. This unique experience has equipped Patrick to provide outstanding representation to clients dealing with the American immigration system. Whether you’re a business needing help with business immigration issues or you’re an individual facing deportation, Patrick can help. There are few lawyers with his level of expertise and knowledge regarding the immigration court process and system. Because of this, Patrick is often consulted by other lawyers who need help counseling their own clients about immigration matters. Whether your issue involves a bond hearing, a petition for asylum, adjustment of status, a DACA application or citizenship, Patrick and the are here to help.

What’s The Difference Between A Green Card And A Visa?

This a question that gets asked often and is based upon a certain amount of confusion.  The starting point for alleviating the confusion and understanding the key differences between a green card and a visa is understanding that the entire American immigration system is based upon only two categories of persons: immigrants and non-immigrants.

What Is A Visa And Who Can Get One?

The P Visa Admits Athletes, Artists And Entertainers

The Immigration Act of 1990 added the “P” class of visa to the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).  The “P Visa” is a non-immigrant, limited duration visa that allows persons with high-profile international careers in sports and the arts or entertainment to compete or perform in the US.

Persons who wish to apply for a P Visa must meet certain qualifications to establish their level of international acclaim and, if approved, are then able to apply for the appropriate P Visa.

What You Need to Know About the L-Visa

What you need to know about The L-1 Visa is that it offers a relatively quick solution to employers in the United States with multinational operations who need to bring foreign employees from company affiliates in other countries to America for a limited time. Similarly, foreign companies can also use the L-1 Visa to send employees to the US to start operations. The L-1 Visa is an important part of business immigration because the ability to move non-immigrant employees to the US on a temporary basis is considered essential to economic prosperity.

To qualify for an L-1 Visa, both employers and employees need to meet certain qualifications in order to be eligible for benefits. Employers apply for the visas and there are no limits on how many of the visas an employer can request. The L-1 Visa is able to be extended up to a maximum number of years depending on the type of L-1 Visa that has been authorized.

Contact Information