At, we often get inquiries from Canadian citizens wanting to know if they can get a visa that will allow them to live and work in the United States on a full-time basis. The answer to that question is “yes.”

The easiest way for Canadians to live and work in the United States is through the E-2 Treaty Investor visa.  The E-2 visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows an individual from a treaty country (a country with which the U.S. maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation) to be admitted to the U.S. when they are investing a substantial amount of capital in a U.S. business.

Here’s what it takes to qualify for an E-2 visa:

1. The investor must be a national of a treaty country.  Canada is a qualifying country.

2. The investment must be substantial and the investment funds or assets committed must be irrevocable. The investment must be sufficient to ensure the successful operation of the enterprise. While the government does not identify an exact amount that must be invested, $100,000 (US) or more will be sufficient.

3. The investment must be a real operating enterprise, an active commercial or entrepreneurial undertaking. An organization that exists on paper only or which is speculative and/or an idle investment does not qualify.

4. The investor must be coming to the U.S. to develop and direct the enterprise. If the applicant is not the principal investor, he or she must be considered an essential employee, employed in a supervisory, executive, or highly specialized skill capacity.

It’s important to understand that an E-2 visa does not directly lead to a green card or U.S. citizenship. Instead, it only allows temporary residency that can be renewed indefinitely, as long as the investment business is maintained.

Bear in mind, the laws and regulations about immigration can change, so it’s best to consult with a legal professional or check with the most recent updates from the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to get the most accurate and current information.

At, our firm has helped numerous people successfully navigate American immigration laws. If you’re looking for a good immigration attorney to help you or a loved one, give us a call today or contact us through this website and let us help secure your future.

Contact Information