Federal Bar Association Badge
Fellows - American Bar Association Badge
The National Trial Lawyers Badge
National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Badge
Nevada Justice Association Badge
Expertise 2020 Badge

Los Angeles K1 Visa Lawyers

How Do I Bring My Fiancé to the United States?

Call Us Today 213-423-7788

A K-1 visa allows a United States citizen to bring his or her foreign-born fiancé(e)s to the U.S. so long as specific requirements are met. With that in mind, the K-1 visa process in LA can be challenging for many people.

Working with a skilled K-1 visa lawyer in Los Angeles can help ensure that you understand the immigration process, submit accurate paperwork, obtain required documents, and follow all steps.

At Best Immigration Lawyer in Los Angeles, our K-1 visa attorneys are dedicated to helping as many qualifying immigrants live permanently in the U.S. as possible. Our lawyers have more than 30 years of experience helping people overcome legal challenges. We believe that we can do the same to help you and your fiancé live in the U.S. together.

Who Qualifies for A K-1 Visa in Los Angeles?

To qualify for a K-1 fiancé visa in LA, you must meet the following qualifications.

  • You’re a citizen of the U.S. (Lawful permanent residents don’t qualify for this visa)
  • You and your fiancé intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé’s arrival in the U.S.
  • Both you and your fiancé must be legally free to marry (i.e.all previous marriages are legally ended)
  • You’ve met your fiancé (in person) in the last two years (there are certain exceptions)

If your K-1 visa case is complicated or you have questions about the process, contact Best Immigration Lawyer in Los Angeles today to discuss the details of your case. Learn about how to get a K-1 visa in LA below.

How to Apply for A K-1 Visa in LA

Meeting the requirements and understanding K-1 visa immigration laws can be complicated. However, applying for K-1 visa in Los Angeles (or anywhere else in the nation) is a pretty straightforward process. Generally, the application process for a K-1 visa includes the following:

  1. The petitioner files Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé
  2. If approved, your fiancé must apply for the K-1 nonimmigrant visa.
  3. Your fiancé attends the immigration interview, supplies all required documents, and awaits a decision.
  4. Your fiancé travels to a U.S. port of entry and receives final approval for entry (this is not always a guarantee).
  5. You and your financé get married within 90 days of your fiancé’s entry into the U.S.
  6. Your financé adjusts his or her immigration status and applies for a green card.

The steps mentioned above don’t address the tedious process of obtaining authentic documentation, preparing for the immigration interviews, and the many complications that can arise. At Best Immigration Lawyer, our attorneys are here for you and your fiancé at every step of the process and can help guide you.

How Long Does It Take to Get a K-1 Visa?

The K-1 visa process generally takes about 7-months to receive a decision. However, that timeline can be significantly extended if there are complications or mistakes.

Additionally, it can take many more weeks or months to schedule and attend the fiancé visa interview and supply requested documents. Some of the most common reasons for K-1 visa denials and delays include:

  • Submitting incorrect or insufficient information or documents
  • Sending the petition to the wrong place
  • Not presenting evidence of physically meeting your fiancé within the last two years
  • The petitioner or foreign national is not eligible for a fiancé K-1 Visa
  • Not meeting deadlines or missing appointments
  • Lack of preparation for the fiancé visa interview
  • Neglecting to hire an experienced immigration attorney in LA

Working with a qualified and experienced Los Angeles K-1 visa attorney can help ensure that your application is processed as quickly as possible according to your unique circumstances.

What Are the Costs for the K-1 Visa?

In addition to the legal fees, there are costs associated with each stage of the K-1 visa process. They currently include a $535 filing fee for Form I-129F, a $265 fee for the K-1 application, and a $1,225 fee to adjust immigration status. In all, you can expect to pay about $2,000 for a K-1 visa in filing fees.

Do I Need a Lawyer to Get a Fiancé Visa?

So long as you meet the requirements for a K-1 Visa, obtaining approval is not that difficult. However, mistakes or omissions can lead to significant delays and denials. Every time you reapply, you must pay the same fees.

For that reason, working with an experienced K-1 fiancé visa lawyer in LA can help save you time, money, and a lot of stress. Generally, you should consider hiring a lawyer for K-1 visas if:

  • You are not adequately proficient in English
  • You are not sure if you or your fiancé qualifies for a K-1 visa
  • You don’t qualify for a K-1 fiancé visa but are interested in other immigration options for your spouse
  • Your application has already been delayed or denied
  • You don’t understand the K-1 immigration process
  • You need help obtaining your documents and preparing for the interview
  • You want to avoid the stress and hassle of doing it incorrectly
Client Reviews
“Best law firm for immigration. They helped me during the most stressful period of my life. All I can say is thank you!” MRZ
“I highly recommend bestimmigrationlawyer.com. They took all the stress away when my husband was facing deportation. It was a nightmare that ended with him being able to stay in the US.” AG
“Paul Padda gave me a new future in the United States. After several years of fighting the government, I won my case and am now a successful businessowner. It only happened because of Paul. Simply the best!” BC
“They truly care about their clients. I highly recommend.” PC
“I sponsored my fiancé with the firm’s help. They were great. Mary was always caring and helped me understand the process each step of the way. Today, my wife is in the US and we’re starting a family. Best immigration law firm in America!” ALT