Federal Bar Association Badge
Fellows - American Bar Association Badge
The National Trial Lawyers Badge
National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Badge
Nevada Justice Association Badge
Expertise 2020 Badge

Las Vegas Citizenship Lawyers

How Do I to Apply for Citizenship?

Call Us Today 702-707-2000

If you’ve been looking for an answer to this question, you’ve come to the right place. We’re a law firm committed to guiding you through the process of becoming a United States citizen. We understand just how confusing and intimidating the citizenship process can be. That’s where we come into the picture. We can guide and help you navigate the complexities of immigration law.

The process of obtaining U.S. citizenship by a foreign national is formally known as “naturalization.” You must be a lawful permanent resident before applying to become a citizen. If not, you must apply for a “green card” by filling out the Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status which is otherwise known as immigration Form I-485.

Section 1445 of the Immigration and Nationality Act states an individual must apply for naturalization in order to become a citizen. If you’re an active duty servicemember in the military, the process can vary according to certain stipulations.

Required Forms for the Citizenship Application

The most commonly required forms are:

  • Application for Naturalization, Form N-400: The standard form to apply for U.S. citizenship through naturalization. You must answer questions accurately, sign the application, provide proof, and mail the filing fee.
  • Application to File Declaration of Intention, Form N-300: This form can be submitted prior to Form N-400 to declare “intent” by a permanent legal resident to become a U.S. citizen. This form is not required by the USCIS for naturalization.
  • Authorization for Credit Card Transactions, Form G-1450: This form must be completed and mailed in with Form N-400 when paying for the application’s filing fee with a credit card.
  • Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service, Form N-426: This form is solely used for military personnel applying for naturalization to request verification of service.
Eligibility Requirements for Filing

To be eligible to apply for citizenship, the following must be true:

  • You’re 18 years of age or older
  • You’re a lawful permanent resident of the United States for the past 5 years (or only 3 years if married to a U.S. citizen)
  • You’re a person of good moral standing
  • You read, write, and speak basic English
  • You’re knowledgeable in basic U.S. government, history, and citizens’ rights
  • You’ve maintained a period of continuous residency and physical presence
  • You were honorably discharged from the military if you served in the armed forces

Certain exceptions can be made, primarily if the individual is physically or mentally impaired which prohibits the ability to meet requirements such as the English language.

Disqualifications for Filing

If you do not meet the requirements, then you are ineligible to file for naturalization.

You can be disqualified if any of the following are true:

  • You’re not 18 years of age or older
  • You’re not a legal permanent resident for 5 years or 3 years if married to a U.S. citizen
  • You lack good moral standing
  • You were outside of the U.S. for a period of 30 months or more
  • You cannot read, write, and speak basic English
  • You lack knowledge in basic U.S. government, history, and citizens’ rights
  • You deserted the U.S. Armed Forces
Post-Filing Process to Obtain Citizenship

The following steps occur after you’ve proven your eligibility to apply for naturalization.

1. Submit Application for Naturalization Form

Attached to the application upon submission must be the paid filing fee, which is presently $640, plus a biometric services fee of $85 payable to the Department of Homeland Security. The biometric services fee is required for all applicants under the age of 75.

Military applicants are exempt from filing fees.

2. Biometrics Appointment

You’ll be fingerprinted and photographed for the purpose of allowing the government to conduct a criminal background check.

3. Interview

If you pass the criminal background check, you’ll be questioned regarding your completed Form N-400, required to take the English and civics tests (unless exempt), and provide additional documentation.

4. Post-Interview Decision

The decision will be a written notice stating either “granted” or “denied.”

If denied, the reasons why will be provided plus instructions on how to appeal the decision.

5. Oath of Allegiance to the United States

If granted, you are required to attend an oath ceremony to officially become a citizen. After taking an oath of allegiance to the United States, you’ll receive your Certificate of Naturalization.

Client Reviews
“Best law firm for immigration. They helped me during the most stressful period of my life. All I can say is thank you!” MRZ
“I highly recommend bestimmigrationlawyer.com. They took all the stress away when my husband was facing deportation. It was a nightmare that ended with him being able to stay in the US.” AG
“Paul Padda gave me a new future in the United States. After several years of fighting the government, I won my case and am now a successful businessowner. It only happened because of Paul. Simply the best!” BC
“They truly care about their clients. I highly recommend.” PC
“I sponsored my fiancé with the firm’s help. They were great. Mary was always caring and helped me understand the process each step of the way. Today, my wife is in the US and we’re starting a family. Best immigration law firm in America!” ALT